1約伯自述苦況於是約伯回答說:
1Then Job answered,
2“但願稱稱我的煩惱,把我的災害一起放在天平上。
2“Oh that my anguish were weighed, and all my calamity laid in the balances!
3現在這些都比海沙更重,所以我冒失發言。
3For now it would be heavier than the sand of the seas, therefore have my words been rash.
4因為全能者的箭射中我,我的靈喝盡了箭的毒液, 神的驚嚇排陣攻擊我。
4For the arrows of the Almighty are within me. My spirit drinks up their poison. The terrors of God set themselves in array against me.
5野驢有草料還會哀鳴嗎?牛有飼料還會窮叫嗎?
5Does the wild donkey bray when he has grass? Or does the ox low over his fodder?
6淡而無鹽的食物有甚麼好吃呢?蛋白有甚麼味道呢?
6Can that which has no flavor be eaten without salt? Or is there any taste in the white of an egg?
7這些使我惡心的食物,我必不肯嘗。
7My soul refuses to touch them. They are as loathsome food to me.
8切願被 神剪除但願我得著我所祈求的,願 神賜我所盼望的。
8“Oh that I might have my request, that God would grant the thing that I long for,
9願他樂意把我壓碎,願他放手把我剪除。
9even that it would please God to crush me; that he would let loose his hand, and cut me off!
10這樣,我們得安慰,在痛苦之中我還可以歡躍,因為我沒有否認那聖者的言語。
10Be it still my consolation, yes, let me exult in pain that doesn’t spare, that I have not denied the words of the Holy One.
11我有甚麼力量使我能等候呢?我的結局是甚麼好叫我忍耐呢?
11What is my strength, that I should wait? What is my end, that I should be patient?
12我的氣力是石頭一樣嗎?我的肉身是銅的嗎?
12Is my strength the strength of stones? Or is my flesh of brass?
13我裡面不是無能自助嗎?見識不是離我而去嗎?
13Isn’t it that I have no help in me, That wisdom is driven quite from me?
14責友缺乏愛心朋友應該憐憫灰心的人,因為他捨棄了對全能者的敬畏。
14“To him who is ready to faint, kindness should be shown from his friend; even to him who forsakes the fear of the Almighty.
15我的兄弟詭詐像乾涸的溪流,又像流乾的溪水;
15My brothers have dealt deceitfully as a brook, as the channel of brooks that pass away;
16水流因冰塊融化而混濁,有雪隱藏在其中。
16Which are black by reason of the ice, in which the snow hides itself.
17天氣一暖溪水就消失,氣候一熱就乾涸。
17In the dry season, they vanish. When it is hot, they are consumed out of their place.
18商隊順溪而行,結果偏離原道,走到荒野之地而死亡。
18The caravans that travel beside them turn aside. They go up into the waste, and perish.
19提瑪的商隊瞻望溪水,示巴的客旅等候水流。
19The caravans of Tema looked. The companies of Sheba waited for them.
20他們失望,因為所盼望的落了空;他們到達那裡就灰心。
20They were distressed because they were confident. They came there, and were confounded.
21現在你們就是這樣,看見我的災難就害怕。
21For now you are nothing. You see a terror, and are afraid.
22難道我說過‘請供給我’,或說‘取你們的財物餽贈我’嗎?
22Did I say, ‘Give to me?’ or, ‘Offer a present for me from your substance?’
23或我說過‘救我脫離敵人的手’,或說‘贖我脫離強暴人的手’嗎?
23or, ‘Deliver me from the adversary’s hand?’ or, ‘Redeem me from the hand of the oppressors?’
24勸友說話公平請指教,我就默不作聲;請指示,我有甚麼過錯。
24“Teach me, and I will hold my peace. Cause me to understand wherein I have erred.
25正直的言語多麼有力!但你們的責備究竟責備甚麼呢?
25How forcible are words of uprightness! But your reproof, what does it reprove?
26絕望人的話不過是風,你們還想批判嗎?
26Do you intend to reprove words, since the speeches of one who is desperate are as wind?
27你們竟抽籤得孤兒,拿朋友當貨物。
27Yes, you would even cast lots for the fatherless, and make merchandise of your friend.
28現在請你們看看我,我絕不當你們的面撒謊。
28Now therefore be pleased to look at me, for surely I shall not lie to your face.
29請轉意,不要不公道;請再轉意,我還有道理在。
29Please return. Let there be no injustice. Yes, return again. My cause is righteous.
30我的舌上有不義嗎?我的口不能辨別災害嗎?”
30Is there injustice on my tongue? Can’t my taste discern mischievous things?