1Then Eliphaz the Temanite answered,
1以利法首次发言责难约伯
2“If someone ventures to talk with you, will you be grieved? But who can withhold himself from speaking?
2“人若对你说一句话,你就厌烦吗?但谁又忍得住不说话呢?
3Behold, you have instructed many, you have strengthened the weak hands.
3你曾经教过许多人,又坚固了无力的手;
4Your words have supported him who was falling, You have made firm the feeble knees.
4你的话扶起了绊倒的人,你使弯曲乏力的膝坚挺。
5But now it has come to you, and you faint. It touches you, and you are troubled.
5但现在祸患临到你,你就灰心,灾祸遇上你,你就惊惶沮丧。
6Isn’t your piety your confidence? Isn’t the integrity of your ways your hope?
6 神赏善罚恶你所自恃的,不是敬畏 神吗?你所盼望的,不是行为完全吗?
7“Remember, now, whoever perished, being innocent? Or where were the upright cut off?
7请想一想,无辜的人有谁灭亡?哪有正直的人被剪除呢?
8According to what I have seen, those who plow iniquity, and sow trouble, reap the same.
8据我所见,耕耘罪孽的,必收割罪孽;种植毒害的,必收割毒害。
9By the breath of God they perish. By the blast of his anger are they consumed.
9他们因 神的气息而灭亡,因他的怒气而消灭。
10The roaring of the lion, and the voice of the fierce lion, the teeth of the young lions, are broken.
10狮子的咆哮,猛狮的吼声,尽都止息,壮狮的牙齿也都断掉。
11The old lion perishes for lack of prey. The cubs of the lioness are scattered abroad.
11公狮因缺乏猎物而死亡,母狮之子也被分散。
12“Now a thing was secretly brought to me. My ear received a whisper of it.
12世人微不足道有话偷偷传给我,我的耳朵听到细语;
13In thoughts from the visions of the night, when deep sleep falls on men,
13在夜间因异象而烦扰的心思中,世上都在沉睡的时候,
14fear came on me, and trembling, which made all my bones shake.
14恐惧战栗临到我,以致我全身发抖。
15Then a spirit passed before my face. The hair of my flesh stood up.
15有灵拂过我面前,使我毛骨悚然。
16It stood still, but I couldn’t discern its appearance. A form was before my eyes. Silence, then I heard a voice, saying,
16那灵站住,我辨不出他的形状,只见有一形象在我眼前,然后我听见低微的声音,说:
17‘Shall mortal man be more just than God? Shall a man be more pure than his Maker?
17‘人能在 神面前算为公义吗?人能在他的创造主面前算为洁净吗?
18Behold, he puts no trust in his servants. He charges his angels with error.
18他的仆役他还不信任,他的天使他也指责过错,
19How much more, those who dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation is in the dust, who are crushed before the moth!
19何况那些住在土屋里,根基在尘土中,比蠹虫还容易被压碎的人呢?
20Between morning and evening they are destroyed. They perish forever without any regarding it.
20在早晚之间就被毁灭,永归沉沦,无人怀念。
21Isn’t their tent cord plucked up within them? They die, and that without wisdom.’
21他们帐棚的绳索不是从他们中间抽出来吗?他们死去,不是无智慧而死吗?’”