1 神的智慧與能力約伯回答說:
1Then Job answered,
2“我實在知道是這樣,但是,人在 神面前怎能算為公義呢?
2“Truly I know that it is so, but how can man be just with God?
3人若願意與他辯論,連千分之一也答不出來。
3If he is pleased to contend with him, he can’t answer him one time in a thousand.
4他心裡有智慧,而且有極大的能力,有誰對他剛硬而平安無事呢?
4God who is wise in heart, and mighty in strength: who has hardened himself against him, and prospered?
5他在怒中移山翻岡;山岡卻不知道;
5He removes the mountains, and they don’t know it, when he overturns them in his anger.
6他使大地震動離開本處,大地的柱子就搖撼;
6He shakes the earth out of its place. Its pillars tremble.
7他吩咐太陽,太陽就不上升,又封閉眾星;
7He commands the sun, and it doesn’t rise, and seals up the stars.
8他獨自鋪開蒼天,步行在海浪之上;
8He alone stretches out the heavens, and treads on the waves of the sea.
9他造北斗與參星,昴星和南方的星座;
9He makes the Bear, Orion, and the Pleiades, and the rooms of the south.
10他所行的大事無法測度,所行的奇事不可勝數。
10He does great things past finding out; yes, marvelous things without number.
11他行過我身邊,我卻看不見;他掠過去,我竟不覺察。
11Behold, he goes by me, and I don’t see him. He passes on also, but I don’t perceive him.
12他奪取,誰能攔阻他?誰敢問他:‘你幹甚麼?’
12Behold, he snatches away. Who can hinder him? Who will ask him, ‘What are you doing?’
13人受苦難不一定因為罪 神必不抑制他的怒氣,海怪拉哈伯的助手都俯伏在他以下。
13“God will not withdraw his anger. The helpers of Rahab stoop under him.
14何況我呢?我怎敢回答他,措辭與他辯論呢?
14How much less shall I answer him, And choose my words to argue with him?
15即使我有理,也不敢回答,只向那審判我的求憐憫;
15Though I were righteous, yet I wouldn’t answer him. I would make supplication to my judge.
16即使我呼求,他也回答我,我還是不信他會垂聽我的聲音。
16If I had called, and he had answered me, yet I wouldn’t believe that he listened to my voice.
17他用暴風傷害我,無緣無故加添我的創傷。
17For he breaks me with a storm, and multiplies my wounds without cause.
18他不讓我喘一口氣,卻使我飽嘗苦楚。
18He will not allow me to catch my breath, but fills me with bitterness.
19若論力量,他多麼強大,若論訴訟,他說:‘誰能把我傳來?’
19If it is a matter of strength, behold, he is mighty! If of justice, ‘Who,’ says he, ‘will summon me?’
20即使我有理,我的口還是定我有罪;即使我完全,我的口還是判我乖謬。
20Though I am righteous, my own mouth shall condemn me. Though I am blameless, it shall prove me perverse.
21我雖然完全,卻不顧我自己,倒厭惡我的生命。
21I am blameless. I don’t respect myself. I despise my life.
22所以我說,善惡都是一樣,完全人和惡人,他都滅盡。
22“It is all the same. Therefore I say he destroys the blameless and the wicked.
23災禍忽然把人殺害的時候,他就必嘲笑無辜人的遭遇。
23If the scourge kills suddenly, he will mock at the trial of the innocent.
24全世界交在惡人的手中,他蒙蔽世上審判官的臉,如果不是他,那麼是誰呢?
24The earth is given into the hand of the wicked. He covers the faces of its judges. If not he, then who is it?
25我的日子過得比信差還快,飛快逝去,不見福樂。
25“Now my days are swifter than a runner. They flee away, they see no good,
26我的日子消逝有如快船,好像俯衝猛撲食物的鷹。
26They have passed away as the swift ships, as the eagle that swoops on the prey.
27我若說:‘我要忘記我的苦情,要除去愁容,面露喜樂。’
27If I say, ‘I will forget my complaint, I will put off my sad face, and cheer up;’
28我就懼怕我的一切痛苦,因為我知道你必不以我為無辜。
28I am afraid of all my sorrows, I know that you will not hold me innocent.
29我既然被定為有罪,又何必徒然勞苦呢?
29I shall be condemned. Why then do I labor in vain?
30我若用雪水洗淨我的身,又用鹼水潔淨我的手,
30If I wash myself with snow, and cleanse my hands with lye,
31你還是把我扔入坑中,連我的衣服也憎惡我。
31yet you will plunge me in the ditch. My own clothes shall abhor me.
32他不像我是個人,使我可以答他,讓我們一起對簿公堂。
32For he is not a man, as I am, that I should answer him, that we should come together in judgment.
33我倆之間並沒有仲裁者,能夠按手在我們雙方身上。
33There is no umpire between us, that might lay his hand on us both.
34願他使他的刑杖離開我,願他可畏的威嚴不驚嚇我,
34Let him take his rod away from me. Let his terror not make me afraid;
35我就說話,也不怕他,因為我本身並不是這種人。”
35then I would speak, and not fear him, for I am not so in myself.